Sunday 15 January 2012

Creamy Butternut Squash Soup

So I know it's been a while since my last post, but I've been busy settling into a new job & getting adjusted. As it's a new year (Happy New Year!), I've decided to make one new years resolution and to (hopefully) stick to it! My new years resolution is to keep up with my blog and to try a new ingredient that I've never tried before at least once a month.

So for my first blog of 2012, I've used an ingredient I never had before - butternut squash.

Here's my recipe for a scrumptious butternut squash soup....

Ingredients;
  • 1 large or 2 small butternut squash (cubed)
  • 1 medium sized potato (cubed)
  • 2 small onions (chopped finely)
  • 2 cups vegetable stock
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • Salt & pepper to taste



To start off with, melt the butter in a pot and then add the onions. Leave to cook for 2-3 minutes until soft and translucent.
Add the butternut squash, potato, paprika, salt and pepper. Mix well so that all the ingredients are coated with butter.



Then add the vegetable stock.

 

Bring to the boil, then allow to simmer for 30 minutes so that the butternut squash and potato are very soft.
Use a hand blender or a stand alone blender to turn the ingredients into a soup consistency. If you prefer the soup to be thick, remove about half a cup to a whole cup of the liquid from the pot, blend and add liquid as you like to make it as thick or as thin as you want it.




Enjoy with some crusty bread.


Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment