Friday 10 June 2011

First attempt at a 'Pelmeni'

What is 'Pelmeni'? I hear you ask....well, I myself only found out a few days ago.  Pelmeni is a Russian dish that my cousin introduced to me.  All I was told was to make it.  I had to do a bit of research but I eventually got it!
So my first attempt was pretty good if I say so myself.  The only person who could actually tell me if I had been successful is my cousin as he was the only one who had had this dish before.
Apart from the individual Pelmeni being too big and getting bigger after it was cooked, everything else was spot on!
Below are the steps I took to achieving my first Pelmeni dish!

To make the dough you need:

  • 210ml cold water
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 400g plain flour

You can use a bread maker to make the dough or a cake mixer. Alternatively you can make it by hand. To make it by hand, sift the flour onto a clean table/counter top, make a hole in the middle of the flour and add the egg and salt to the center. Gradually add the water and slowly mix everything together. Mix well and knead vigorously for about 15 minutes to get all the air out. Cover the dough with a wet cloth or cling film and leave to rest while you prepare the filling.

The original filling for this recipe consists of pork and beef, but instead, I use only lamb.
For the filling you need:

  • 1lb minced lamb
  • 1 onion (chopped as small as possible)
  • 1 clove of garlic (chopped as small as possible)
  • Salt & pepper (to taste)

Mix all the ingredients for the filling together and the filling is now ready.

To start filling in the dough, add some flour to a clean table/counter top and roll the dough flat out. Use a circle utensil to cut out circle shapes. You can use a cup to get a nice clean circle. In every circle, add a teaspoon of filling to the center of every dough circle, then fold the circle in half, if the dough goes a bit dry, add some water to the edges to make them stick together. After folding the circle in half, join the two ends round together. And there you have a pelmeni.
This recipe should create 30-40 individual pelmeni's. You can make as many as you can or want and freeze them or cook straight away.

To cook this, boil a generous amount of water with 1-2teaspoon of salt and drop in the pelmeni. They only need a few minutes to cook. Once the pelmeni is cooked, they will begin floating to the top. Once the pelemni is done, take out of the water and add some butter (to taste) and eat away!
Alternatively, you can add the pelmeni to some tomato sauce or make the filling out of vegetables such as diced mushrooms and spinach.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment