Tuesday 21 June 2011

Tuna pasta salad

This is probably one of the first dishes I started off with at a very young age. With time I learned to add more and more to it. This is a really quick and easy dish to do when you don't have a lot of time and its good to keep over night and have as a packed lunch at work or for a picnic.

This tuna pasta salad can have as much or as little as you'd like in it. To start off with, I only had tuna, pasta, sweetcorn and mayonnaise in it. So for this particular recipe I added a few things. To make this you need;

  • Sweet corn
  • Peas
  • Spring onions
  • Tomatoes
  • Tuna
  • Penne pasta (or any other small pasta)

For the dressing you'll need;
  • Mayonnaise
  • Mustard
  • Lemon
  • Olive oil
  • Salt & pepper

I also added boiled eggs to decorate with.

Firstly add the pasta to boiling water with about a table spoon of olive oil and a generous pinch of salt.  The olive oil helps keep the pasta separate and not stick together. While the pasta is cooking, chop the tomatoes and spring onions as small as you can. Open about 2 cans of tuna into a bowl, with or without the oil is up to you. To the tuna add the sweetcorn and peas. Add as much or as little of each item as you like.

 

As I am cooking this for quite a few (picky) people in my family, I try to cater to everyone's needs. Some don't like tomatoes, some don't like onions, so to keep the peace, the first batch is just tuna, pasta and sweetcorn. This way everyone get to have some food!

After the picky people have been fed, I add everything in. All the tomatoes, sweetcorn, peas spring onions and tuna have been added to the cooked pasta. To dress the pasta salad, in a separate small bowl add a table spoon and half of mayonnaise, a tea spoon of mustard, juice of one lemon and about 2 table spoons of olive oil, salt and pepper (to taste). Mix all together then drizzle over the pasta salad.



As can be seen from the last picture, I've added a boiled egg on top just to decorate and because I quite like eggs!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment